Superheroes are most noted for their courageous acts and nobility of character. They inspire us to do and be better people, and their actions and good deeds give us hope. And let’s face it, in today’s day and age there’s no shortage of bad news, so it’s nice to think in an alternate universe there’s someone willing to risk it all to save the day for the greater good. That’s why today we celebrate them in our Heroes and Superheroes playlist.
What makes this theme fun, aside from all the cool music to choose from, is that deep down there’s a superhero inside each of us—whether it be at work, at home, or even on the bike—we just need the courage to put on the cape. Inspire your students with songs from this playlist and couple that with some of these superhero quotes to help encourage and motivate:
- “You are so much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.” –Superman
- “The future is worth it. All the pain. All the tears. The future is worth the fight.” –Martian Manhunter
- “You’re going to make a difference. A lot of times it won’t be huge, it won’t be visible even. But it will matter all the same.” –Commissioner James Gordon
- “In a world of ordinary mortals, you are a wonder woman.” –Queen Hippolyta (Wonder Woman’s mom)
- “If you cage the beast, the best will get angry.” –Wolverine
- “No man can win every battle, but no man should fall without a struggle.” –Peter Parker
- “Someone must have ripped the ‘Q’ section out of my dictionary, ’cause I don’t know the meaning of the word ‘quit.'” –Mr. Furious
And don’t be afraid as instructors to put on your “superhero cape” when needed. We are all entitled to deference and respect, but in the absence of a superhero cape, that sometimes goes missing. Instructors, do you get the respect you should? If not, consider wearing your own “don’t-mess-with-me” cape, and learn how to call upon these seven special “superhero” powers.