Meet Bill Roach, a new contributor for ICA. His specialty is communications and connecting with students, so you can expect some great content coming your way on how to improve in that area. He is also going to help with PR for ICA, helping me raise awareness of the Indoor Cycling Association.|image2|You’ve already met Bill Roach in my informative interview with him on how to develop a newsletter to stay connected with your students and increase your attendance and retention. Bill has so much to offer, so I decided to bring him on as a contributor to ICA to share his wisdom about how to better communicate with your students.
Bill’s background includes working in PR and media for the Attorney General’s office of Iowa. I am so excited that he will be bringing his PR skills to help me raise awareness of the Indoor Cycling Association, so I can reach even more instructors and facilities around the country (the world!) and in the process, help raise the quality of indoor cycling instruction everywhere. If you have any ideas for newspapers or magazines that you think could benefit from an article on indoor cycling safety and effectiveness, or perhaps that might be able to do an interview with me, please email me and I’ll forward the information to Bill, who will contact the right people to get the process started. We can always use your eyes and ears!
Who is Bill Roach?
Bill Roach is a Star 3 Spinning Instructor, personal trainer (NASM-CPT, CEx) and lead indoor cycling instructor for the Des Moines Metro YMCA’s. He is retired from a 35-year career in communications and media relations (PRSA/APR) in the Iowa Attorney General’s Office. Bill’s particular role with ICA will be to supply us with strategies to promote ourselves, our classes, and the “Keep it Real” message.
In addition to his career in communications, Bill has a background as a long-distance competitive cyclist. He has logged more than 60,000 miles training for and racing in long-distance bicycle races, typically racing approximately 300 miles in about 18 hours. He was a support rider for Dr. Bob Breedlove in setting the world record for the bicycle crossing of the U.S. twice in 23 days.
As a personal trainer Bill works in a unique YMCA-hospital partnership designed to bring patients from recovery on to a life of health and fitness. As an indoor cycling instructor, Bill has mentored many new instructors preparing them to teach effectively and persuasively.
He is enjoying an early retirement working in the fitness world as well as playing golf, traveling, reading, and entertaining friends with his wife, Annie.
- Certified Personal Trainer, YMCA Healthy Living Center, Clive, Iowa, 2010-current.
- Indoor Cycling Instructor, YMCA Healthy Living Center, Clive Iowa, 2010-current.
- Lead Cycling Instructor, Four Des Moines Metro YMCA’s, 2011-current.
- Spinning Instructor, Aspen Athletic Clubs, Des Moines, Iowa, 2008-current.
- Editorial Contributor, Indoor Cycling Association. 2012-current.
- Executive Officer, Iowa Attorney General’s Office, 1979-2010. (Duties included state and national health policy advocacy, media relations and communications.)
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM); current to July, 2014.
- Correctional Exercise Specialist (CEx), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
- Certified Spinning Instructor, Star 3 (highest level of certification); lifetime certified.
- Certified Kettlebell Speciality, National Exercise Trainers Association (NETA)
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers
- First Aid; current to November, 2013. BBP
- 60,000+ miles training for and racing in long-distance bicycle races, typically racing approximately 300 miles in about 18 hours.
- Support rider to Dr. Bob Breedlove in various events including the setting of his world record for the bicycle crossing of the U.S. twice in 23 days.
- Participant at Betsy King National Bike Racing Training Facility, Gainesville, Florida.
- Winner of state and national awards for advocacy on behalf of Iowa bicyclists.
- Former President, the League of Iowa Bicyclists and the Des Moines Cycle Club.
INITIATIVES AS A PERSONAL TRAINER:
- Specializes in working with adult, professional clients with health and fitness goals.
- Works with a small number of clients so that contacts can remain flexible and personal.
- Sub-speciality in training for bicycle events ranging from RAGBRAI to Triathalons.
INITIATIVES AS A SPINNING INSTRUCTOR:
- Mentors new instructors preparing them to teach effectively, persuasively, and according to the requirements of the Spinning program.
- Publishes a nationally recognized newsletter about Spinning, health, and fitness topics.
- Wrote materials to promote indoor cycling including a new student orientation guide, a RAGBRAI guide and a Spanish-language guide to Spinning.