Happy April Fool’s Day!
We’re nearing the end of March and that means April Fool’s Day is right around the corner. It’s a day where everything is about humor, nothing is taken too seriously, and you can let the prankster inside you come out to play.
Here are a few hoaxes you can have up your sleeve as you start your class.
- Tell your class that the stereo system is broken and you’ll be singing to them today.
- Tell your class you have a new playlist of all Michael Bolton songs and actually start the class with this song.
- You have decided to make the class a 3-hour race effort, and nobody can leave until it’s over.
- You believe everyone needs a few weeks of recovery, starting today. No heart rates above low zone 1.
- You have decided to give up all your classes, and this is your last one.
- In honor of all the mothers/fathers/parents in the room, you have decided to play all Disney movie soundtracks, beginning with “Let it Go” from Frozen.
- Instead of riding today, you thought you’d lead meditation session (off the bike).
- You heard that Bikram-style cycling was good for you.
- You’re going to do a weight workout on the bike (now THAT’S scary!).
- Tell your class you made them brownies, and hand out these:
And of course, you can always Rick Roll them…
There are a lot more great trickster ideas in the comments over the year, don’t miss them! And please add your own favorite way to fool your riders in the comments.
Whether you’re a big trickster or not, you might want to throw a few songs about fools, foolishness, and lies into your playlist on April 1 to celebrate the holiday. We’ve got just the bucket playlists for you below…one specifically for April Fool’s Day (about 180 songs) and one about Lying and Liars (over 260 songs). We try to update these every year so if you have any suggestions to add, please let us know.
What have you done, or might you do, as an April Fool’s joke with your riders? Please share in the comments below!
I start my April fools ride by playing “Mandy” by Barry Manilow, telling the class I want to try something a little different this year. But about 20 seconds in I edited in a record needle dragging scratch sound effect, then Homer Simpson yelling April fools. The whole thing is 24 seconds. I did the same with “Let It Go” other years.
I think I’m going to try this one this year!
Love this idea! Brilliant! I’m on the Brownie treats! Also using the “Let It Go” suggestion with the needle scratching on the record after it plays the chorus, then playing “Jive Talking”. So much fun! Thanks so much for such great ideas!
Last year, my warm up song was Alvin and the Chipmunks. I announced to the class that the whole playlist was Alvin and the Chipmunks. I was new enough to the facility that they all believed me! You should’ve seen the looks on their faces!! 😂 It was all I could do to keep a straight face!
that’s great Lori! And it shows you don’t need an entire playlist for a theme ride…you can get a fun laugh out of your class with just one or two songs!
Good to see my favorite “Fool’ song listed: Taken For A Fool by The Strokes. I can suggest Fantasy Fools by The New Pornographers at 145 BPM. In addition to including “fantasy fool”, the lyrics also mention “muscle memory” and “you’re gonna need your body” which may be applicable for an indoor cycling class. I have no idea what the song is actually about.
I’ll add it to the playlist, Bill. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming!
I’ve toyed with the idea of having my music on shuffle for the ride…impromptu of how the ride would play out. Could be interesting and the only time I’d need to skip would be if we need a break but a song comes on that lends itself to speed work.
I LOVE this idea. Especially with my playlists! You never know what you’re gonna get. Ha!
Michael Bolton! That’s enough to cause anyone to BOLT!
I am going to do those Brown E’s!!